IP Rating for Enclosures – what they mean.
IP stands for Ingress Protection with the following numbers indicate the level of protection.
The first number denotes the level of protection from solids and intrusion.
The second number denotes the level of liquid protection.
First Digit (intrusion protection)
- No special protection<
- Protection from a large part of the body such as a hand (but no protection from deliberate access); from solid objects greater than 50mm in diameter.
- Protection against fingers or other objects not greater than 80mm in length and 12mm in diameter.
- Protection from entry by tools, wires etc, with a diameter of 2.5 mm or more.
- Protection against solid bodies larger than 1mm (eg fine tools/small etc).
- Protected against dust that may harm equipment.
- Totally dust tight.
Second Digit (moisture protection)
- Dripping water (vertically falling drops) shall have no harmful effect.
- Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect when the enclosure is tilted at an angle up to 15° from its normal position.
- Water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical shall have no harmful effect.
- Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect.
- Water projected by a nozzle (6.3mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
- Water projected in powerful jets (12.5mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
- Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).
- The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which are specified per product
- Protected against close-range high pressure, high-temperature spray downs.
With our IP65 rated enclosures, this means the enclosure is protected against dust that may harm equipment and then water spray from all directions. This is the typical level of protection for safe outdoor use.
We also offer cable glands and accessories all the way up to IP68 which will cover continuous immersion under water