What is an IP Rating?
IP rated enclosures are designed to contain electronics and protect them from a range of conditions. An IP rating ranges from very basic physical protection and moisture protection then goes up to fully dust-tight and waterproof against high-pressure jets.
An IP (or “Ingress Protection”) rating is a standard that defines how well protected an enclosure is against ingress and products with an IP rating need to go through a format testing procedure.
The IP rating is broken down easily into to parts, the intrusion protections and the moisture protection, with the first number in the rating being for intrusion and the second for moisture.
First Digit (intrusion protection)
- No special protection<
- Protection from a large part of the body such as a hand (but no protection from deliberate access); from solid objects greater than 50mm in diameter.
- Protection against fingers or other objects not greater than 80mm in length and 12mm in diameter.
- Protection from entry by tools, wires etc, with a diameter of 2.5 mm or more.
- Protection against solid bodies larger than 1mm (eg fine tools/small etc).
- Protected against dust that may harm equipment.
- Totally dust tight.
Second Digit (moisture protection)
- Dripping water (vertically falling drops) shall have no harmful effect.
- Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect when the enclosure is tilted at an angle up to 15° from its normal position.
- Water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical shall have no harmful effect.
- Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect.
- Water projected by a nozzle (6.3mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
- Water projected in powerful jets (12.5mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
- Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).
- The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which are specified per product
- Protected against close-range high pressure, high-temperature spray downs.
Where can IP Rated Enclosures be used?
IP rated enclosures are suitable to be used anywhere that the rating can handle The IP67 rated enclosures Hitaltech sells are suitable for use exposed completely outdoors
What IP Rated enclosures does Hitaltech offer?
Hitaltech has a wide range of both IP65 and IP67 rated enclosures so the IP65 enclosures can handle water projected by a nozzle (6.3mm) against enclosure from any direction which is suitable for use outdoors in the rain.
The IP67 rated enclosures provide more protection and are suitable for applications where the electronics could be exposed to rain and bad weather for prolonged periods of time.
Hitaltech also offers a range of cable glands and accessories going up to IP68 which is suitable for continuous immersion in water allowing you to run the cable underwater if required.
Hitaltech has over 20 IP rated enclosures designs going from a small square 52mm x 50mm x 35mm box to deep rectangular boxes with a dimension of 160mm x 80mm x 85mm. All the enclosures are made from Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) plastic.
The cable glands and accessories come in a wide range of design and materials including both plastic and metal, as well as flexible designs.